April 9, 2015

April 10 1338 VN Time

Yesterday was so action-packed that I don't even know where to begin. My intent was to make an entry last eve, but for some reason access to the blog is blocked at my hotel. So, I now sit at Hearts for Hue's office, where accessing the blog is no problem.

Having left Dong Ha/Nhi Ha prematurely, I pitched out a suggestion to Khanh of Hearts for Hue that we hire a car and drive all the way back north for another visit with Mr. Ba, my former foe, at Nhi Ha. He agreed, setting departure for 0830 the following morning.  The plan was to visit three people who had successfully established the Hearts for Hue chicken-raising program, then proceed north to Nhi Ha.

Stopping at the first chicken operation, I couldn't help but be impressed by the enthusiasm and pride of the owner. She not only showed us her flock, but also her sow and piglets. The second spot was just as impressive with equal pride and dedication to the endeavor. There was an interesting lady living at this house with a perpetual smile and most friendly demeanor. Amazing for someone having no arms.
After this second stop, it was obvious to me that the chicken program was undeniably successful.

Now comes the third and final chicken tour of the day. These folks have a set-up similar to the other two, with the addition of a nice flock of ducks. The facilities, built by the husband, were very functional with plenty of room for the animals.  Khanh and I interacted with the lady of the house as she fed the poultry. Her husband, it was learned, was busy working in the rice paddies. However, someone was sent to beckon him home to visit with us for a bit. Some time later, he came peddling up on an old rickety bicycle sporting what might just rank as the most inviting & contagious grin I've ever seen.  I would have shaken his hand…but he has none.  Instead, I grasped the "knobs" protruding from his arms.  He works the rice fields, builds buildings/pens, rides a bike…all with nothing more than clubs on the end of his arms. He works. He produces. He smiles.  He's happy.  And he doesn't consider himself "disabled". I had noticed only a small basin for the ducks and inquired about buying this couple a larger container to allow the little quackers a better frolicking pool. With acquisition determined feasible, I supplied necessary funds to make it happen.  So, everyone is happy, we say goodbye, and it's off for the DMZ/Nhi Ha. But, the story doesn't end there. I announced to Khanh that this handless, hard-working, unselfish man needs a new bicycle with which to get back and forth from the rice fields. So, we found a little bike store, made a selection, and returned.  Stopping on the trail just before his house, we unloaded the bike, after which I jumped on and peddled right up to my newfound handless friend.
Thrilled doesn't describe his reaction. It is impossible not to be in awe of this amazing human being.
He makes me feel humbled, small in comparison. Check out the photos. Here is a man that is challenged with even the simplest tasks. Yet, he hits life head-on, with pride, and is making it happen. No whining, just smiles. He's a hero in my book. The able-bodied, lazy welfare element back home needs a wake-up call..and politicians with the testicular fortitude to call the shot.

After a final goodbye, we struck off for Nhi Ha and Mr. Ba. Of course, it was necessary to grab some bags of candy en route for the kids. After arrival at my former foe's house, it was decided that a couple beers might be a favorable addition on a hot day.  So, Mr. Ba made a call and minutes later a delivery of beer and a bag of ice was made by a girl on a motorbike. His wife roasted a tasty bowl of peanuts. So, with Khanh serving as film director and interpreter,  the NVA and this GI exchanged thoughts, concerns, and memories. He now has prints of all my Nhi Ha images from May '68, magazine articles, maps, and other material relating to the battle where we served in opposing foxholes. Departing his house, we proceeded directly to the Nhi Ha NVA cemetery, wherein lie the remains of those Vietnamese killed there. Mr. Ba and I walked together, stopping now and again to check KIA dates of the deceased. Those killed during the May 6 battle with two platoons from my company are buried there….55 men. Then we visited, once again, the memorial being built in honor of those 55 men. For each soldier, engraved is his name, service entry date, unit, and home village.  My company took substantial losses that day, as well. It was ugly and grueling for every soldier.

Before departing for the drive south to Hue, we treated the kids up and down the paths to candy. That's always a rewarding endeavor. Arrival back in Hue was around 8:00 PM, after which I was invited to join Khanh for dinner with his family. Wow, what a treat! It was quite a buffet!! I might add that people seem amused by my rudimentary chopstick skills.

Nhon, who works with Khanh at Hearts for Hue, has been diligently working with all the videos created during this trip. Without her help, I'd be lost. She was nice enough to take me today via moped to obtain a bus ticket to Hoi An and a plane ticket from DaNang to Saigon.

I appreciate Khanh showing me Hearts for Hue projects and allowing me to serve as ambassador in providing assistance to participants. There are images in Khanh's camera of Mr. Ba and me at Nhi Ha, so maybe I can provide a couple later today.

UPDATE: The man with no arms has just today halved the plastic barrel for which we provided funds and has filled the halves with water. He got right on it! Photos below.

Neil
























No comments:

Post a Comment