April 6, 2015

April 7 0836 VN Time

Quick update this morning. Mr. Ba, through my interpreter, had mentioned yesterday something about seeing me in Nhi Ha in 2011. So, I checked back at those photos.  Sure enough. He was the man who showed up at the school when we were interacting with the kids. I was told (by someone else) that he was in charge of the "police" in the region during the war. In reality, he was the head of the "resistance" and was aligned with the North Vietnamese.  It's just a matter of terminology. Bottom line is that he fought against U.S. troops. He asked that I have prints made for him of the the two of us meeting yesterday. He also really wanted to get his hands on my old '65 original topo of this region, but that wasn't going to happen. But, a copy will be made for him. Tam, who works for Global Community Service Foundation, will handle the prints and map reproduction. Tam is the man with whom I worked a couple years back to fulfill the needs of Son and her mother. Danny and I met him here at the hotel shortly following our arrival two days ago. A genuinely super guy.

Ok, I just wanted to get out a quickie this morning, but will be back later today.  Photo from 2011 below. For crying out loud, I just didn't make the connection.

Neil
Mr. Ba & Neil-Nhi Ha 2011

1 comment:

  1. Neil, is there some way I can email you the topo? I have the entire Vietnam set in digital format. I'd just need the map number. Ken McKenzie-Editor, 196th LIB Assoc.

    ReplyDelete