April 16, 2015

April 16 1520 VN Time


Well, with departure from Saigon tomorrow evening, I’ve been busy getting things together in anticipation of making the long journey back to Alaska.  Currently, I’m in the process of uploading videos to YouTube, the link for which will be sent to Nhon of Hearts for Hue. She has already created a neat video, but we’ve decided to make some changes/additions. So, I am monitoring the painfully slow process of the You Tube upload function.  At this rate, it’ll be evening before it’s complete. I’m chomping at the bit to get the video link posted, but will wait until Nhon has finalized everything. 

On Monday, I journeyed in the hired van from Hoi An to the rural area in which The, Duong, and Thua reside.  Guide Thong and one of his English students were in accompany. The first stop was at Duong’s, where we found my legless infantry comrade on the ground in front of his dwelling.  I supplied a nice supply of food, including some treats, for which he was most appreciative. To my dismay, it seems that Duong’s TV, purchased just last February, isn’t working.  Thong and I tinkered with it for a bit with no success. So, I need to figure out how to proceed with that dilemma.  After saying goodbyes, we were off to see Lady The.

And what a sweet lady she is.  I approached this visit with a degree of sadness, as there is very real possibility that this would be the last.  I had purchased a sizable supply of staples, plus some treats, for her.  I also gave her an envelope containing 1,000,000 VND, or about $50, for the purpose of “buying fresh”. Over and over, she expressed her gratitude. Following goodbye hugs, we departed for a visit with Thua.

Thua and his family greeted us with enthusiasm as we strolled unannounced down the path to his house.  Our prior attempt to reach him by phone had been unsuccessful. However, I now have his new phone number and confirmed the accuracy of the mailing address.  Thua, too, received a supply of food, along with treats. He and I distributed candy to the kids, which always brings smiles. The stop at Thua’s marked the end of this trip’s mission.  The positive effect that we’d had upon the lives of these deserving folks is profound.

After returning to Hoi An, Thong’s student and I hopped a bus for Da Nang while Thong journeyed via motorbike.  After checking into a hotel, Thong and I sat on the street in front of his house waiting for his English students to arrive.  His wife brought out a selection of very tasty food, as well as beverages.  In a short time, the students began to arrive.  I found talking with the group, fielding questions, and showing/explaining photos most interesting.  Should I return, I hope that the opportunity avails itself again.  It is obvious that these young folks have a great deal of respect for Thong, also known to me as “damn guide”. 

After individually saying goodbye to each student, Thong transported me via motorbike to my hotel.  After parting with my good friend, it was time to retreat to my room and stretch out after a very busy, yet most rewarding, day. 

Now it’s time to return to the video task. I should have allowed this process to complete through the night instead of being confined to this hotel room all day.  Live and learn.  I’ll get the video link posted as soon as Nhon, the Royal Empress of Videos, has it finalized.  But, she is waiting for the raw videos from me before proceeding.   You can access photos from this trip using the following link:


Danny departed last night for home, so I’m back to being solo.  

Neil
Thua and Family

Lady The

Lady The Saying Goodbye

Duong & Neil " Brothers in Arms"

Duong's Military ID Card

Lady The & Neil

Lady The & Neil

Neil with Thong's English Students

Neil, Thua & Wife

Thua's Family

Thua's Pigs

No comments:

Post a Comment