March 31, 2015

April 1 0839 VN Time

It's morning, April 1. Danny is out and about looking for coffee. Thong emailed yesterday to say that he'll be here at 0900 so that we can make a plan for my return to Hoi An, which should be no later than April 6.  Hoi An is the best base for visiting those we're trying to help. I now think that I need four nights here, which gives me three full days with The, Thua, and Duong. One way or another, I'll have a car/driver and interpreter, hopefully Thong.  I termed him "damn guide" in 2010 and it has stuck. But, in reality, he is the best damn guide in all of Vietnam…can't imagine anyone better. Moreover, he's a good friend and honest, sincere person. Great guy to be around. Anyway, my hope is to have a low-profile, electric cart for Duong before leaving this area. Khanh, of Hearts for Hue, is working on locating one. I appreciate the fact that he has been of great help even though very busy as Chairman of Hearts for Hue. Duong uses his P.E.T cart, which he obtained through the efforts of Fred Grimm of D.O.V.E.  Fund.  But, Duong is weak and can't go very far with the hand-driven cart. So, that's why we're looking into an electric unit, which he can easily access even with no legs.

Danny is committed to heading north tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards leaving for Danang today. 
After speaking with Thong in about 30 minutes, I'll have a better idea as to which way to go. Between now and the return to Hoi An approx April 6, I'll be trying to figure out what items to take to The, Duong, and Thua and ways that I can improve their lives.  They won't ask for anything, so you have to really pry. It's imperative that I feel good about things upon departure.  Everything else is peripheral.  Other than the meeting with Captain Tha, I have no video with the camcorder purchased specifically for this trip.  But, that situation I will remedy during the upcoming three days of visits with The, Thua, and Duong. 

OK, must head down to see if Thong has arrived. 

Neil 


No comments:

Post a Comment