March 25, 2015

March 25 2141 VN Time

As Danny mentioned, today involved riding The Reunification Railway from Saigon to Nha Trang, where tomorrow AM we meet with Col. Tha, commander the NVA battalion that fought against my company on the DMZ in May '68. I have photos, newspaper articles, and more info to present to my former foe. I'm nervous as hell about the meeting…the old can of worms deal.

Today's train ride involved a really ancient passenger car, but all worked out well. Quite a variety of scenery. Passing through Cam Ranh Bay was nostalgic, as that was my point of departure for the US in Feb '69.  In two days, we'll be on the 0500 train to Danang.

Well, threading one's way through the blur of countless motorbikes can be a puckering experience. Today, though, I ended up on the receiving end of one of the machines. Ouch. Bike on the ground, girl winching in pain, and old Neil feeling really foolish. Anyway, I righted the bike while a fellow sort of "handled" things. I think that the girl might have knocked her foot a bit, but otherwise seemed OK. My left calf hurts some…could have been worse.

Danny is out getting some grub this evening, but I just felt like hanging in the room. Nha Trang, by the way, has a very nice beach…considered the best in Vietnam.

To be continued….Neil




No comments:

Post a Comment